Thursday 27 March 2014

Zero references

I want to go to pharmacy school. I recently decided this after discovering I can apply and go after second year of my undergrad. This means I would end up doing six years of school total, have a guaranteed job when I graduate and probably make over 100,000 a year. The problem is how to get accepted to such a highly competitive program...While looking up requirements, I noticed that many of the pharmacy schools need references. This led to my realization that other then my immediate family members, I really have NO ONE who could speak to the "caring" and "compassionate" nature that those who get into pharmacy school have.

One of my two references is my aunt (who has a different last name then me so we pretend we aren't related). The other is my old supervisor at A&W, who would quite possiblt end up hurting my chance of getting a job rather then helping it. When I apply for jobs, I count on the fact that most employers don't call references. However, it appears as though pharmacy schools definitely do.

Basically, this realization has led me to want to volunteer this summer for all the wrong reasons. To get a good, solid reference.

References just shouldn't be a thing anymore. Obviously if I write someone as my reference, they're going to say good stuff about me or I wouldn't have used them as my reference. But that's just the viewpoint of a person who doesn't really HAVE any references.

No comments:

Post a Comment